Thursday, August 28, 2008

online calorie diaries, part II, Calorie Count Plus

During August I used About.com's free program, Calorie Count Plus.

The Facts: I used CalorieCountPlus for two weeks. I lost 7 pounds.

The really great thing about CalorieCountPlus is that entering recipes is a breeze! You just type in the ingredients list:

1/2 cup skim milk
2 eggs, beaten
1 watermelon
and hit enter and the nutritional value pops up. What could be easier? After seeing the nutritional value you have the choice of adding a single serving to your food log, or typing in the complete recipe (directions, cookbook, etc) and saving it for yourself and anyone else who would like to use it. There are more than 100 recipes already entered from Joy of Cooking, Moosewood and Betty Crocker. 66 from America's Test Kitchen, 9 from Madhur Jaffrey (Indian), 3 from The Vegetarian Epicure. And those aren't even diet books. Since the recipes are shared by everyone (your screen name gets credit for having contributed a recipe) you can build a yummier diet for everyone! There are some odd hitches -- when you go to My Recipes to retrieve something, you cannot change the portion size -- so if you carefully typed in Aunt Edna's favorite cake, and then eat only half a slice, too bad! Better eat a whole one. Unlike MyFoodDiary, CalorieCountPlus has spelling correction.

A large fraction of the foods in CalorieCountPlus have a grade from A to F. In addition to your calorie count, you get an overall food grade for the day. CalorieCountPlus has two not very well-designed meters which tell you how close you are to your calorie limit for the day (going over it does nothing graphically as far as I can tell) and how close you to your activity goal. Whereas MyFoodDiary treats food input and calorie output as part of the same calories meter, CalorieCountPlus treats them separately. Meeting both goals for the day is probably a healthier way to lose weight. One interesting aspect is that you can get the CalorieCountPlus toolbar for Firefox. This gives you the multipurpose food/recipes/activity search box, an "Eat Meter" and food grade for the day, along with how much weight you've lost so far. All of the online food diaries have plots of how much weight you have lost, but if you are someone who weighs themselves every day, you'll appreciate the one at CalorieCountPlus -- it has a trend line that smooths out little fluctuations to show you your true progress.

You can upload a picture into CalorieCountPlus -- probably they expect it to be a picture of yourself but it appears on your home page and I didn't need to see my face every day -- I know what I look like -- so I uploaded something inspiring -- an irreplaceable vintage dress that I got for $5 that I want to fit into again.

How CalorieCountPlus could be improved:

There are two big downsides to CalorieCountPlus -- the screen is cluttered, not just by ads but by poor layout -- I'm always scrolling to get to the important part. And the site is slow. There's a long delay between each submission.

CalorieCountPlus doesn't have a water meter -- I rather miss this feature which gave me an easy goal to shoot for.

Other than the weight loss chart, there are no other charts -- past calories eaten are only shown in table form and aggregate for the day -- you never know if you are always eating too much at breakfast for example.

Since CalorieCountPlus is paid for by ads, they don't have much control over what comes up -- and what comes up is in direct conflict with good diet practice -- "Lose 10 pounds in 10 days", "The Supermodel Diet" etc.

Some features sound like a good idea -- food suggestions for example which make suggestions for new foods depending on foods you normally eat -- however in my case it reccomended either foods even worse for me than what I was eating (whipping cream? really? grade of D-) or recomended brand name items, having a beer resulted in "Coors Blue Moon", more of a product placement. Some of the items were just dumb: Brussels Sprouts - Cooked, Boiled, Drained, Without Salt -- that's enough to send you screaming off your diet. Another feature "Determine Your Diet Profile" gives you a quiz to determine why you overeat. As I took the test it was obvious to me that I wasn't scoring strongly in any particular direction, nevertheless I got a stern warning that comfort eating was my downfall -- I guess you must fit into one box or another.

No comments: